Cave dwellers in Granada-Unique place to stay!
Don’t you sometimes end up surprising yourself? And doesn’t that make you super happy?
That’s how I felt when I realized I was going to stay in a cave – Flintstone style!
I am usually in two minds when it comes to searching for accommodation via AirBnB. You could be a genuinely warm and adjusting person and may even want to experience a taste of the local life, but that does not guarantee your hosts are too!
That is, if you do not rent the whole place out.
But AirBnB truly does have some of the most unique stays I have ever come across in a long while! Treehouse, Yurt, Earth house, Tipi and of course my find for Granada – Cave house!
The few cave houses left in Granada are located either in the Albaycin or the gypsy region of Sacromonte. Our cave house in Albaycin, was a 5 min walk from Plaza Mirador de San Nicolas and had a couple of restaurants too in the vicinity, avoiding the hassle to wander to the city center only for food.
We decided to have the entire house to ourselves and were proud of our decision :)
The cave house is located at a height so it provides spectacular views of Granada & The Alhambra! We had amazing fun in the evenings drinking ‘Cerveza’ and staring at the Alhambra from the rooftop terrace! The view was the deciding factor when I settled on the place.
In addition, Olga was a gracious host and was in constant touch, replying to all the [offbeat] queries I had.
When we stepped into the cave house, it took us completely by surprise – not because it was an exact replica of the pictures on AirBnB [sometimes it is a rude shock when it isn’t] but because it was pristine yet had a cultural feel to it.
With a capacity for 6 people inside the cave and 4 more, in rooms outside, it is also a great option for a group stay. The biggest room at the very end that we stayed in was equipped with a dehumidifier and a mosquito net [to keep any insects at bay, usually present due to the humidity].
The decor is done in red and white and is definitely chic. Although Olga herself does not stay at the place, she has all the basic necessities like tea, coffee available in the house. A Yogini, Olga is a pleasure to talk to. She made us feel instantly at home and asked us to get in touch at any time of the night if needed!
The bathroom is spacious and well-equipped too.
You’re free to whip up anything you wish in the kitchen although there are a couple of restaurants which are great, complete with superb local musicians 5 mins away.
I do have to mention, if you’re looking to traverse via public transport or taxi, the location is not easily accessible. However, there are numerous things to do in Granada and it’s all within easy reach of the place. 20 mins is all you need to hop down the Albaycin to find yourself in the city center.
The early morning views or the sunset at Plaza Mirador are to die for! Even a simple walk through the cobbled street with houses in utter white will make you believe you’re in Santorini!
And if that doesn’t peak your interest, well there’s always the Alhambra right in front of you!
P.S. the pictures don’t do complete justice to the place as Olga has recently renovated it again and it looks fab!
Where to stay in Granada? Here’s all the info!
- The rooms are available via Airbnb. Hence you would need to make a booking via this link.
- The cave house is located in the Albayzin area in Granada.
- Once the booking is complete you will be able to get in touch with Olga directly. Do ensure to call her when you land in Granada as she will then be able to give you/the taxi driver exact directions as the place is not precisely mapped on Google Maps!
- Olga will also come to the drop off point to accompany you to the house as it is a quick 5 min walk up the hill
- There are friendly neighbors around so the area is pretty safe
- Since there are shrubs and cacti around ensure you keep an eye out for creatures if you are returning super late! It does get quite dark here, but it is safe :)
- The city center is 20 mins down the hill. It is a brisk walk but worth it.
- Bar Kiki San Nicolas and the Calle Mirador de San Nicolás are 5 mins away
- All basic amenities are provided in the house by Olga
- It is one of the best locations ever to view the Alhambra!
- The latest prices and availability are always updated on the Airbnb website.
I’d love to hear if you’ve ever stayed in an offbeat place! Let me know!
‘Your e-mail will be kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with anyone.’